Monday, October 13, 2008

To hibernate or not?

Julie says...Dave McShaffrey, who is the person who used to give me baby turtles to raise. Now he's doing better raising them himself. Yes... There are people who keep them going all year round but you have to use lights with UV spectrums that will both heat them and keep their shells hard--special reptile lights. Not cheap. You put them on a timer so the turtle gets a constant daylength. If the objective is to raise them as fat and as fast as you can, fine. It is the shorter days that stimulate the turtles to dig in, as well as the cooler temps. Yes, of course they grow faster if they don't hibernate.

I just have a gut feeling that turtles should be allowed to hibernate, since they'll be doing it in nature. I also have a good setup downstairs where they can be cold but still get natural light for basking on warm days. I keep the tank soil moist--the plants are good indicators when they need to be watered, as well as looking nice--and I keep a shallow dish of water full just in case they wake up and are thirsty.

I dig my turtles up several times during the winter, just check them to make sure they are fine. Not a problem. The garage sounds pretty good to me. Just make sure, if they're going to be in a dark place, that they'll be cool enough there--I'm talking 30's and 40's, not constantly, necessarily, but a good reflection of outside temps. Make sure that mice can't get to them--screen the top of the tank. Mice will kill them. Make sure that they're truly sluggish and ready to dig in when you put them to bed--that they aren't interested in eating anymore.
Watch to see that they are indeed eating the box turtle food. If so, good. You might get some Repto-Min sticks, soak them and add them in if so. Keep in mind that babies need more protein than adults, which is why I'm harping on the sticks vs. an adult maintenance formula.

I use a 20 gal. long tank--more ground area. There are lots of good tanks for reptile keeping nowadays--be sure to get a screened cover.
Good luck--you're welcome!

Dave's Study on Hibernation

No comments: